Hope all is well in your worlds, Readers!
Not sure whether the groundhog saw his shadow or not today...but the weather forecast for my neck of the woods is nothing but winter returning tomorrow!
We'll see how long it lasts.
I have updates in progress on two projects as the title suggests.
Mr. Kitty is coming along nicely.
As you can see he now has some eyes and his feet are a bit different than the last time you saw him.
I put a coat of homemade gesso on him yesterday. It whitened him up and gave his coat a smoother finish. And it made him smell like a baby!
I sanded a bit on him to smooth it out a bit more but there are still many many little bumps and divits on him that shouldn't be there. More sanding to commence once my arm decides to cooperate with that venture.
I sanded for about 10 minutes and couldn't sand anymore! I'm still, hours later, paying for that sanding session.
A detail of his sad little face.
He does look quite unhappy about something.
Tomorrow I will give him a coat of paint and things will progress quickly after that!
Then you all won't be hearing about Mr. Kitty anymore once he's finally done!
His eyes and nose will be the last things to be painted on him.
In case you're wondering how to make homemade gesso:
That link will take you to a recipe that I altered a bit.
Here's the way I made it!
1 part white glue (regular old school glue, pvc glue, plain old white glue--I used Elmers)
2 parts water
6 parts baby powder (or any other body powder...depends on how much you want to shell out for the powder and how you want your gesso to smell)
Blob of titanium white acrylic paint
Mix everything but the acrylic paint together and either add water or powder a bit at a time till you get the paint the consistency of pancake batter. If the scent of baby powder is too overpowering for you, use cornstarch for part of the powder. I couldn't handle the strong scent of all that powder so I used about half baby powder and half cornstarch.
I really didn't measure everything, just eyeballed it all in a big mixing bowl.
The blob of acrylic paint I put in my mixture was about the size of a walnut. I used Liquitex Acrylics. Add it once you have the paint to the consistency you are after.
It does separate just like regular gesso so it must be stirred before using.
It goes on smoothly with a brush. It sands beautifully! And I've yet to see just how well it takes paint. I'm suspecting it will work wonderfully.
Much cheaper than regular gesso!
I also used this homemade gesso on the pink tree canvas before gluing all the little stars down with paper napkin applique glue.
Good stuff for an artist on a budget! Give it a go!
I finished sewing the 20 red hearts. I'll only be using 19 of them for the Valentine's project cause I sewed the first one and then turned it right side out and it looks much different than the other 19. I might have to make a few more red hearts anyway. I'm still figuring out where this project is headed.
I have cut out 20 pink hearts and sewn 6 thus far.
I'm leaning toward making an ornament with 3 different colored puffy hearts and some embellishments of some sort....
I'm just winging it! That red ribbon on the spools in the basket is slated for this project as well.
The pink and blue rectangle sewing is the beginnings of a fabric ATC but I don't know that it will ever be finished.
The weather gurus are predicting a major snow storm so I'll be holed up in my hovel making something or another for the next few days!
You all be good to one another!