26 January 2009

More Snow, A New Book Added and The Dog Is Still Crazy

I forgot to mention the artwork in the title, but if you read the last post, you'll already know there was going to be artwork in this post. So, here goes!

When I got up this morning I was going to work on my whimsical cats but when I sat down at the painting table and dilly dallied with the two cats already started, cats didn't feel right. I knew that if I continued to dilly dally with the cats I would ruin them! So I went to the livingroom, sat on the sofa with my lap desk and created the four ATCs you see here now. These are for the Handdrawn Pots Swap over at ATCsforall.com. I'll be sending them off sometime this week. I'm pleased with the results. Some of you are saying, "Hey, wait a minute! Those aren't pots! Those are vases, a basket and a clay vessel." Oh, I agree with you! Truly I do! It is explained in the description of the swap that the word pots refers to anything that can hold something else. (Or something to that effect.)






Others have drawn buckets, bowls and things of such. I like the third one the best, then the last one. I am pleased with all of them though. They're done in markers. Sharpies, Bic, and cheapos.
It's still snowing to beat the band. Susan went to town with me. We terrorized the grocery store. Well, not literally of course, but we made our presence known. She spent almost 70 dollars and I spent a whopping $3.14! lol And what did I buy for $3.14? A 2 litre bottle of Coke and 4 slices of frozen beef liver. Heck of a combination don't you think?
We also went to 1st Stop for gasoline. Their pumps are wonky! I put the nozzle into the gas tank and before I ever hit the lever to make gasoline flow, the read out said I'd obtained 2 cents of gasoline already! What's up with that??? It was very strange. I think it's wrong as well.
We got our 15 dollars worth of $1.79/gallon gasoline and headed south out of town. Snow coming down like crazy!
They called off school this morning because of this snow. What's up with that too? I can remember WALKING to school (3 miles to school!) in snow up to my knees! Children are spoiled these days! I can see them calling off school when the buses can't run, but this snow coming down (5pm now) isn't even two inches. The calling off of school just hit me wrong today, I guess. I know it's a safety issue, but I sometimes think we've become a society of pansies. Everyone's so hellbent on doing everything just right and we fail to remember that the little trials of life, like a bit of snow, only make us better equipped to handle the big trials, whatever they be.
Susan and I, Fred was along as well, took the chalk road south of town back to home. She owes me 50 cents for a bet I made with her. There's a chalk road on the south side of the river that takes you to Woodston...you can't get off that road till you get almost to Woodston.(I forget the name of that road)...she said she could get us across the river by taking that road. I said she couldn't. She said "I bet you I can!" I bet her 50 cents she couldn't and took that road. Snow flying like crazy! Road getting whiter by the minute. We got about half mile down that road and she realized she owes me 50 cents! There's a house on this road. As we came upon that house on our way back to the river road, the people who live in that house came buzzing out of their driveway. Had I not been paying attention we'd have crashed right into that blue mini van.
Susan said it was a good thing to have happened. Her reasoning: Those folks seldom see traffic coming from the east on that road cause ain't nothing out that way except farmland and there isn't much traffic there! She says by having a near miss with us they will remember that they should look BOTH ways before they exit their drive way. I agree with her.
It is Monday. I don't know if I'll be going into town to sit with the girls tonight or not. I haven't yet on a Monday this year... I suppose I'll get a phone call. We'll see. Makes me no difference one way or another if I go to town tonight or not. I'd rather stay home if truth be known. That van is parked in the upper driveway and it's a long way from the front door! It's cold out there! If need be though, I will go to town. Been awhile since I've seen those folks. I miss them.
I added another book to the Book List on the sidebar. C. Fred's Story is about the Sr. Bush's cocker spaniel. It's a funny book. Written from the viewpoint of C. Fred himself. I enjoyed the read greatly. It's one of the books I got at the library book sale the other day.
Looks like I will be going to town to sit with the girls tonight. That call just came in. Cool. Allison wants me to bring some art stuff...says she needs something to keep her busy. I'll go around 6:30 or so.
I should get off this wretched machine and do something productive before I have to go. You all have a wonderful Monday night! I'll yak at you tomorrow!
Peace
831

6 comments:

John said...

What's a cheapos?

Donna said...

That's an inexpensive marker. No brands. Not the best choice of marker for artwork but they do in a pinch. I only use them sparingly as they fade rather quickly depending upon the color. The blue vase card has some cheapo blue on it. The rest don't have cheapo markers on them.

John said...

So it's a Disappearing Ink or Marker?

Donna said...

It is a marker, a an inexpensive marker that isn't of artist grade. In a few years time, the cheapo marker on that one card is going to fade away. It won't be terribly noticable because the Sharpie marker is on top of it, but it will fade, especially if the card is displayed in sunlight. If the person who ends up with that card from the swap, keeps it in a binder, like a lot of folks do with their ATCs,it will be fine for a longer amount of time.UV light is a killer of pigment. Any artwork you display on your walls where sunlight falls on it will eventually lose some of its vibrancy. Using cheapo markers only hastens that action much quicker.
You could call it a disappearing ink...cause that is what it's going to do eventually-but that isn't what it is.

John said...

How interesting. No brand names? Where could I find a cheapo?

Donna said...

You can get them at any discount store, John. Walmart sells them. Not sure if the Walmart Empire spreads all the way to Maylaysia though. They come in packages of ten different colors usually, but you can find them in larger packages as well.

Followers